I had wanted to wait until the last day of school (in hopes of delaying the inevitable and awesomely-inappropriate things that middle-schoolers say).
However, as none of my old pants would zip up as I was getting ready this morning, and covering the ‘bump’ has been become increasingly tricky, I figured it was time to spill the preggo beans.
So during a last-five-minutes-of-class round of hangman, I let my 7th graders solve the announcement.
To their credit, they surprised me. But not as much as I surprised them, I think. For a solid 10 seconds after decoding my hangman message, there was a silence such as I’ve never heard in a middle school classroom.
After a bit of reassuring (“No, I’m not joking,” and “Yes, there really is a ‘belly’ under this flowy top”) though, they were ready to run shouting the news to the hallways as soon as the bell rang.
Some of the funniest and sweetest reactions came from my 6th grade boys, however. After hearing the news, they wanted to make sure that I knew that I had to “be careful what I [ate]” and that “boys pee on you”.
I was also advised “not [to] eat butter” and to consult them for baby names.
One of my boys even had to excuse himself outside three times during class to “compose” himself –and only managed to do so once I repeated back to him that no one would ever “replace him in my heart”. Yes, middle-schoolers CAN be awfully cute sometimes.
Love,
Mrs. K and Little K

No comments:
Post a Comment